How To Make Tiramisu Couscous Cake
I've been doing Slimming World for a little while now. I was reluctant to advertise the fact when I've written other posts because everything was so new and I don't want to pressure myself but making a big deal out of it. I've done SW before but I'm back again, which means I didn't keep the weight off (I had some serious life stuff in there which led to big emotional eating so I feel going back isn't stupid).
Anyway, I recently came across couscous cake and it changed my dieting world. Sure, you can't go mad and eat it for every meal, but it's a hell of a lot better than no cake. I had a brainwave - what about Tiramisu Couscous Cake? I've made the Slimming World recipe with those weird little sponge fingers, and it's great, but I took a chance on an experiment and, my god, am I glad.
Ingredients for 1 layer of sponge
- 100g plain couscous
- 150ml hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1 Latte or Vanilla Muller Light Yogurt
- 5 tablespoons granulated sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (more for a strong flavour)
Ingredients for filling and topping
- 0% fat Total or similar thick yogurt
- 2 bananas
- 4 tablespoons granulated sweetener (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Light hot chocolate for dusting (optional)
- Mix the couscous and hot water together and leave for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the yogurt, eggs, sweetener, baking powder and instant coffee.
- Mix with the couscous.
- Put in a silicon cake mould (you can do cupcakes or a single large cake).
- Microwave for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before adding any topping.
- Mix 1/2 tub of 0% Total with your sweetener and vanilla essence.
- Spread a thin layer of Total mix on the top of your cake then add chopped bananas.
- Use the rest of the mixture to cover the bananas and then sprinkle with light hot chocolate.
How flipping simple is that? You can easily add in a second cake layer to make a mega-cake, but a single layer will be enough for most. If you want it to be a bit moister you could try adding a strong coffee and sweetener mix to the sponge after it's cooked rather than baking the coffee in, but this will probably make it mushy and not very cake-y.
In terms of syns, the couscous sponge is free but the yogurt layer might (at most) have 1 syn. The obvious thing to point out would be - even though it's pretty much free, don't eat it all at once. I have struggled with this, thus Tiramisu Cake is a sometimes food.