Clean Eating: Snack My Bitch Up
I've quickly discovered that one of the cardinal rules of clean eating is snacking your little, healthy face off. And I'm down with that, because food. However, the problem can be finding snacks that quell hunger and give your taste buds a treat. I find that I'm more satisfied by something with quite a strong or sweet flavour because apparently I might be orally fixated.
I happen to shop at Tesco's most often (not product placement) so I'll stick in the particular version of something if I think it's relevant. Plus, I shop on the cheap side so it's good for your bank and your tummy.
Here are my top 8 snack-time treats -
- Two Nairns Oatcakes, whole nut peanut butter & honey - strong flavours and very sweet, a real saviour snack for when cravings hit.
- Tesco Healthy Living Beetroot, Cannellini Bean & Mint Houmous with carrot sticks - tastes decadent but is clean, baby. Just try not to eat the whole tub in one sitting.
- Tesco Wholefoods Peanut and Flame Raisins - measure out reasonable portions for a little control and nibble while typing as I do.
- Banana nut cookies - easy to make and filling. The original recipe calls the 'breakfast cookies' but who are they to police when I eat my food?
- Salted rice cakes and avacado - chuck a some spices in when you smush up your avocado and you've got yourself one heck of a snack, sir!
- Homemade popcorn - surprised? As long as you avoid the pre-packaged microwave stuff you're safe. Get some plain kernels, stick them in a pan with 2 tablespoons of canola oil until the popping dies down, then add the flavouring of your choice.
- Whole nut peanut butter & raisins on apple slices - I like peanut butter okay? A quick and satisfying crunchy nibble when you're short on time.
- Crispy kale - tastes just like crispy seaweed! Spray or toss your kale in some oil, pop it in the oven on a low to medium heat until it dries and becomes crispy, then sprinkle with salt. So easy it must be bad for you, but totally isn't. Munch away.
I've got a hankering for a clean eating treat now, folks.